Thursday, September 9, 2010

FLYING KITES

I was driving into my driveway this evening, and it looked from a distance that there was a huge flock of swallows flying in the dusk. As I got closer, I was amazed to see that they were white-tailed kites. When we first moved here over 20 years ago, there was a couple who nested in a tall pine on the edge of the property. At the time, they were considered rare. They were almost extinct at one time in California. We were always pleased to see them nesting each year. If there was ever an extra-terrestrial bird, this would have to be it. They are a medium sized raptor and have a characteristic hunting technique of hovering in mid-air sometimes for almost a minute facing into the wind before diving for prey. They are just awesome to watch. I am thrilled to see that our couple has been fruitful and multiplied into a large flock.
So that is your ornithology lesson for the day!These pictures were courtesy of the internet.

2 comments:

Cowgirl said...

What a lovely post. Really they are amazing birds.

I bet the chickens are nervous!

xo g

Joey Boshart said...

Gorgeous!!!! Yeah, my pic on my blog was a phone pic, not a camera pic. I tried to make it bigger but couldn't. It's my husband, who is 6.3" in a HUGE oversized nylon camp chair. Made him look like a little kid. : ) Keep blogging and I will try to do the same to keep the "retired Italian Lady" quiet. :) Gotta love her though.