Saturday, February 20, 2010

ON THE ROAD AGAIN. . . .


Heading up to Oregon on my way to visit my mom, I took a 5 mile detour to the Castle Crags State Park. One of the advantages of traveling alone, is that I can stop whenever I want to check out the views and smell the roses so to speak. ("A good traveler has no fixed plans".) An invigorating short walk through the snow gave me a nice view of these distinctive spiky peaks. Interestingly enough, in the 1850's, a small group of 49er miners and Indians clashed in the "Battle of Castle Crags". I got in this photo and then wouldn't you know it, I got the "change batteries" message on my camera. Unfortunately, batteries were "not included" on my walk, so had to settle for a 1 shot deal. Lesson learned! When in doubt, always have spare batteries on board.

View of Shasta
Another detour I enjoy, is the Sundial Bridge in Redding. I did the I-5 through Redding many times, before I realized that it was even there. After a friend gave me a tour, I was amazed. This is a spectacular pedestrian bridge spanning the Sacramento River and includes trails, gardens, arboretum and is very dog friendly.




This is a sundial. However, the shadow cast by the bridge is exactly accurate on only one day in a year – the summer soltice
June 21.






Spanish architect and engineer Santiago Calatrava conceived the Sundial Bridge’s unusual design, and has a bridge of the same design in Sevilla, Spain.

Visitors to this attraction, will not be disappointed. Take a few minutes to stop, stretch your legs and enjoy the views!

″A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.”

1 comment:

Cowgirl said...

You really should have a small motorhovel to call your own. Just think...you could whip up a little gourmet lunch, use your own facilities (which you know are clean), maybe take a little nap or a hot shower and then hit the road again. Oh, yeah, I forgot, you could also empty your grey & black tanks if there is an RV dump close by. I'm just sayin'...

xo gina