Thursday, January 28, 2010

BEN DOVER IV

Ben is the youngest member of the family. He is the 4th standard poodle my husband has owned. Each one gets the same name. I thought this was a little crazy at first, but then since they have all looked pretty similar, it makes it a lot easier. Even with my 2 boys, it seems like I can't get their names right. "Kev", "El", I mean "Kevel"! The above picture was taken the day Ben was brought home. He looks a little worried and scared, but that didn't last long. When I started looking for some pictures of him, I didn't find a whole lot. As you can see, when he is photographed, he pretty much looks like a big black blob.
August 2000
2002
Ben shaking "hands" with my favorite niece. 2004

Ben and the boys 2005
"Does this outfit make me look frumpy?"
The other night Ben was just acting a little strange. Kept standing up. We commented on this behavior, but we had no idea that it was because he was in pain. By morning, he was lethargic and wouldn't lay down. We got him to the vet and he was diagnosed with "bloat" or twisted stomach-- GVD. This is the "mother of all emergencies"! Dogs can die within a few hours. He had surgery and did arrest, but thanks to CPR and the fine surgical team, he was pulled from the "brink". He is still under the weather, but the good news is that he should be coming home tomorrow. We are hoping that home therapy will be just what he needs to bring a spring in his step, and his tail wagging vigorously with a sparkle in his eyes. Right now, he is not a happy camper. Perhaps a lot of separation anxiety!!

No comments: