Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"DOES MY BUTT LOOK BIG? I THINK I'VE PUT ON SOME WEIGHT?"




"DON"T BE SILLY! YOU LOOK GREAT!

WHAT DO YOU SAY WE GOBBLE SOME PUMPKIN PIE!!!"





Butternut Squash Flan




"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life!"


Is there a better time of year than this? I can sit back and reflect on how grateful I am for my wonderful friends who I can talk turkey with! The only presents I have to worry about today, are the presence of my friends! It is just all about fun, good food and good conversation and laughter. As far as I am concerned, this should always be the way that the year ends.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Many of you may think that this is the last day before we are forced to listen to Christmas Carols 24/7 for 30 days or so. . . endless commercials to buy more than you have. . . for more things that most people don't need!! But that doesn't start till tomorrow. So for today, I will savor this day as long as I can. I will also be savoring some of this delicious flan made with squash picked from my garden. I will include the recipe for those that might be inclined to try a melt in your mouth desert!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!! Whether you celebrate it or not!


Butternut Squash Flan

2 cups diced and cooked butternut or kabocha squash
1 cup fat-free half-and-half
1/3 - ½ cup sugar

3 eggs, slightly beaten plus 3 egg whites
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice
pinch salt
1Tbl vanilla extract + 1 Tbl maple syrup or extract

1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
3 Tbl water

  • Preheat oven to 350ยบ
  • Coat 6 custard cups or flan mold with cooking spray; set aside.
  • Mash the squash and set aside. Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and syrup in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring gently as needed to dissolve sugar evenly. Continue cooking 11 minutes or until golden (do not stir). Immediately pour sugar mixture into prepared custard cups or flan mold, tipping quickly to coat bottoms of cups.
  • In a medium bowl, mix half-and-half, sugar, eggs, and flavoring until thoroughly combined. Stir in mashed squash. Pour into the prepared mold. Place cups in a 13x9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until set. Remove cups from pan; cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight or for 4 hours before unmolding.
  • Loosen edges of custards with a knife or spatula. Place a dessert plate, upside down on each cup; invert onto plates. Drizzle any remaining caramelized syrup over custards.

2 comments:

Cowgirl said...

Those are some mighty, purty turkeys.
Glad you had such a nice day. Cheers and love to all. xox gina

BOBOJOJO said...

I'm stuck in the tropics with feelings of envy.
Is there anything better than three days of leftover turkey
Unbuckle your belt and put on ten pounds .
IT'S ALL GOOD