Saturday, June 29, 2013

SUMMER IS KIND OF LIKE THE ULTIMATE ONE-NIGHT STAND: HOT AS HELL, TOTALLY THRILLING,AND GONE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT!

“What good is the warmth of summer, 
without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”
―John Steinbeck--
You can see from the thermometer that it was an exceptionally warm day here in the valley!!  Summer is on!!! Wouldn't you know it, today was one of the races I had signed up for!  After looking at the forecast, I considered that this would be a great day to sleep in. However, I had told my fitness pal, Danette that I would be there, so grudgingly got out of bed at 6AM to head to Elk Grove park for "Run 4 Independence" race.  When I ran into Danette, she was close to canceling herself, but had a sense of commitment so showed up. By the start of the race it was already near 90.  IT WAS HOT!! and NOT in a sexy way!! However, we slugged through it.  I ran out of water in the first mile and even though the race co-coordinator had been prompted to add a water-station, did not. . . But we just did it!  And were rather proud of ourselves for it. 
 

When I was standing at the start line with Danette, I was reminded how far we have come!  If you had told us a year ago that we would be running races. . . I would have laughed in your face.  "Surely you jest!"

Danette is one of my heroes in my fitness group. Last year she decided it was time to change her ways. She  ate fast food three times a day. She was a self-described couch potato, but she knew she couldn’t keep on living the same way. I met her in our Employee Live Well program which offers us free fitness classes. When Danette started, she thought she would try it and just make it through at least one class.On her first day, she finished her walk out of breath. And now she is running 5k races!!
Running Club

I too, started staying after work for the employee program-- Zumba and Cross Fitness. The camaraderie really keeps me going and I have some terrific new friends that keep me motivated.When I ran the Women's Race around the capitol last year, it was the first time I had run since I was pregnant with Kevin. (20+years ago)


With trainer Jen
"TRAINING"


RACE AT WINERY LODI
 Can't say that I ever get a "runners high"!  In fact, I think running is a pain in the ass, knees and many other body parts. Maybe one of these days, I will achieve that level.  Right now, it is a whole lot of work.  I have found that being 61 puts me into a division where the competition is not quite so fierce, even at my snail pace. My best placement was 5th, no less.
WINE TASTING APPROVED!
2013 Women's Fitness Festival


"It's a sure sign of summer if the chair gets up when you do."
"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it."

1 comment:

Cowgirl said...

SUPERWOMAN !!! What can I say but that I remember one summer here in BC when you went out on the trails with me kicking and complaining about me being ruthless with you...when all I was trying to do was motivate your ass and get you moving. Well, well, well just look at you now! You are looking great. Keep up the good, hard work...it is the only option we have that makes any sense. xox