Sunday, February 13, 2011

THIS GLORIOUS QUEST!!

Not long after I arrived in Lo, I bought some tamales from Señora Annie at a stall in the plaza. Being a little cautious, I only bought a couple in case I didn't care for them. What a mistake. I loved them. Necesito más! I NEEDED MORE. And this is how the quest began. The next day I asked around and was told that she was in the plaza every evening around 5:30 or maybe 6:30, maybe 9. I then began to make my rounds each evening, asking around the plaza, shops, restaurant: ¿Dónde es el tamal señora? Either she hadn't been seen or she had just passed by. . . I began to think that she had just been an apparition to begin with. The elusive tamale lady. . . the impossible dream.

Finally, a week later, on Sunday she "would be at the plaza at 10am". . . 10AM:No Annie. . . but she would be there for the book sale at 12. There had been a sighting at the church.(I passed by there on my search and Annie was NOT at the church.) 12:30PM: No Annie at the book sale but "would be there in 20 minutes". After waiting for an hour, I went my way. Beach walk, lunch, etc. Later, I returned to the plaza and I had "just missed her", as other folks tantalizingly waved their bags of tamales in front of me. Hope sprung in my heart, because this was proof that she really did exist. Supposedly, she was headed for the ball field. I walked to the far side of town and circled the ball field. No Annie! But this was my quest! To stalk Annie, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. Cause the world would be better for this. I could not give up! There was a rumor that she lived near the ball field, so I decided I would just go door-to-door asking: ¿Dónde es Annie casa?
I approached the first casa with a group of people gathered around a pickup and was amazed when a lady said:"Soy Annie". Tears of joy welled in my eyes. . . .OK. . . so I just gushed, muy bueno! Mucho gusto! Estoy alegre ! Maravilloso! Fantástico! which exhausted most of my Spanish vocab.
Her vege tamales are filled with
calabaza,
patatas, zanahorias, and pimientas. (squash,potatoes, carrots and peppers) They are worth every peso. So when you come to Lo de Marcos, check out Annie. She lives at the corner of the ball park and her fresh tamales will set you back less than a dollar a piece. Muy delicioso!

"Buen apetito"
"Bon Appétit"**

**for the multilingual impaired--
"E
njoy your meal!!"

3 comments:

Joey Boshart said...

Now you know what YOU'RE missing. : ) I do, truly wish I was there with you two. One day...

Cowgirl said...

Katarina, this is the best blog post you have ever done!!!!

You have recounted the story of the elusive and secretive tamale lady and I feel as if I am there with you...whoa...wait a minute...I actually am there with you! Finally, when she was found to be a real, not imagined being, (after a solid week of sleuthing & stalking) I was stunned into the silence of the lamb. Who knew your 'walk of shame' through the barrio would be so successful.

Just goes to show how far a girl will go for a hot tamale.

xo me

ps. I hope you find him.

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Oh, how I miss homemade tamales!! When I used to teach, some of the nice mamas would bring me a dozen at a time. They were better than anything a restaurant could make. You lucky, lucky dog!!